Posital (Hamilton, NJ) has launched a line of incremental
rotary encoders for the motion control and industrial automation
markets. Features include:
• The devices are programmable, which means that
performance characteristics, such as resolution and
incremental pulse direction, can be modified by changing
• The encoders allow distributors, system integrators, or
machine builders to reduce the number of distinct items kept
• The encoders are also available with high
performance seals that make them suitable
for use in the most extreme environmental
Drive Electronics for Stepper Motors
MICROMO (Clearwater, FL) has announced the new MCST 3601
series which was developed from cooperation between FAULHABER
and Trinamic GmbH. The controller is compact and flexible, and is
suited to fit with the full range of FAULHABER micro stepper motors.
• Regulated phase currents from 10 mA to 1.1 A.
• A supply voltage range from 9 to 36 VDC.
• Communication with a PC via USB 2.0.
• 10 inputs and outputs.
Why Would I Specify?
• Since the controller is designed as a test electronics system,
users can adopt the predefined architecture according to their
requirements and integrate the components in the platform of their
specific industrial application.
• The MCST 3601 series can actuate stepper motors in micro
stepping mode in which up to 256 micro steps can be programmed
per full step.
• The resolution of the controlled rotary or linear movement can be
increased considerably and/or the vibrations caused by the motor
to be reduced. This capability is a fit for optics applications where
resolutions are often in the micro meter range.
Low Temperature Nickel Metal
Panasonic (Rolling Meadows, IL) has announced a new
low temperature Nickel Metal Hydride battery, the BK250A.
• The battery is suitable for applications requiring
performance at low temperatures, including a
variety of markets and applications, such as
two-way radio, locating devices, and security.
• The Nickel Metal Hydride batteries offer up
to 3 times the capacity of same size standard
Nickel Cadmium batteries.
• Due to their increased capacity and energy
density features, users can expect a longer run
time between charges.
(New Hartford, CT) has
announced Custom X-Small
Brakes, a range of spring-set holding brakes which,
according to the company,
are the smallest on the
market. Features include:
• 6 standard sizes from 22
to 33.5 mm in diameter.
• Up to 50 Ncm of static torque.
• A weight from 30 to 100 g.
• Custom adaptor flanges.
Why Would I Specify?
• The X-Small brakes are designed primarily for engaged/
disengaged holding applications – such as seat adjustment
on an airplanes – though they can provide a low cycle rate
stopping action in emergency situations.
• The brakes are electrically-released, allowing them to remain
reliably engaged in the event of a power failure, which makes
them suited to applications where the integrity of the holding
force is imperative.